Data Transformation Pipeline

Simplification of a spreadsheet-heavy manual task with an intuitive data remediation process and an elegant user interface.

Company Context - ICX4

ICX4 is a London-based fintech company that specialises in data remediation, analysis, and regulation compliance for Tier 1 banking clients. While working as a UX designer there, I collaborated with data and business analysts, senior stakeholders, clients, and front and back-end developers. Our goal was to design and test products to streamline banking clients’ legacy data systems and improve their efficiency.  

 

Project Overview

I was given a brief to design screens to replace the in-house data transformation process with an online application that external users could do themselves. Users must be able to see the whole process at a glance and easily manipulate the tools used in the process. The process was known internally as the Pipeline Builder. It would replace the manual manipulation of raw data from various sources by data analysts, using many spreadsheets, into data that was accurate and easy to read.

Requirements

The business requirements document that accompanied the design brief was more specific on the resulting data than on the manual process the data analysts went through. I had several discussions with a wide range of users to nail what the problem was and what the objective might be.

Process

I discussed the process of data manipulation with the data analysts who would be using the system I designed. I sketched a number of designs which helped me to understand the process myself. Several times during the pen and paper stage, I spoke to the data analysts for feedback.

Design

The design had to be built within the capabilities of a boot strap library, which I discussed with the front-end developers during the design process. These discussions also helped with determining the best UI elements to use that would indicate the order of tools used during the data transformation process. 

The data transformation process wasn’t completely defined, but we knew that certain tools could only be used in a particular orders, some at the last stage of the process, and the number of tools in any given process could vary in number from five to 500.

Challenges

The challenge was to show the user the whole process on a single screen and ensure that a new user would understand the necessary ordering of the tools. Each tool needed to display its name, metrics, and whether it was able to be edited.

I worked on the content instructing the user how to understand and use the Pipeline Builder to ensure that it was as brief and accurate as possible, testing it with people who weren’t familiar with the process.

Outcome

I tested the wireframes on paper and then with an InVision prototype, mainly to determine whether the UI was easily understood for a new user. I worked with the Visual Designer to finesse the screens with an elegant interface and the appropriate brand colours. 

I did a test of the last wireframes I completed ensure the usability for new users, however the business had a change in strategy and I wasn’t able to see the project through to final completion.